Gum diseases: symptoms, causes and treatment options
This article briefly explains the gum disease's symptoms, some effective treatment options, and what caused it in the first place.
Gum problems can be dangerous if you don't treat them at the right time. If you have seen a bit of blood while brushing or eating, then you should know that it is the first sign of gum disease. If you don't go for gum disease treatment, then it can turn worse, and it can travel below your gum line and cause a serious problem like periodontitis. Both periodontitis and gingivitis can increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and pneumonia.
What are the symptoms of gum diseases?
Apart from bleeding gums, there are many symptoms of gum problems, such as:
- Red and swollen gums
This is the first and initial sign of gum diseases that start with inflammation on the gum line. It feels uncomfortable and painful when you brush and floss.
- Bad breathe
Everything that goes into your mouth is through your mouth. Your mouth is a breeding ground for millions of bacteria, and those release toxins that can irritate your gum and lead to bad breath. But it can also be serious gum disease.
- Gums get smaller
If your teeth look longer than they were used to do, then your gums are shrinking. In this case, you will need gum disease treatment to prevent gum loss.
- Teeth sensitivity
If you eat or drink something cold or hot and feeling a weird sensation on your teeth, then it can be a sign of gum disease. With receding gums, the sensitive part of the teeth is exposed to dentin. It causes teeth sensitivity when exposed to cold or hot things.
What are the treatment options?
There are various gum disease treatment options such as:
The first treatment for gum disease is an in-depth cleaning. Regular cleaning is only done above the gum line, whereas deep cleaning goes under the gum line. For this, you need to visit a clinic that provides gum disease treatment in Melbourne CBD. There the dentist will use his special instruments to reach every corner of your teeth and clean it properly. The dentist will do something called scaling, and it involves scraping off tartar both below and above your gum line.
In some cases, medication also helps, but it won't be able to fix the problem from the root. The dentist may prescribe as a part of the treatment. Some medications include:
- Antiseptic or antibiotic gels
You need to insert these tiny gels into the pockets un the gum, and it will help to get rid of the bacteria and reduce the size of the pocket.
- Oral antibiotics
If you have an infection, then the dentist might recommend capsules or tablets.
If the other treatments don't work properly, then you may have to go for the surgery option. There are different types of surgery, like hum graft surgery and flap surgery.
What causes gum problems?
There are various factors that can be responsible for gum problems, and the following are:
- Plaque buildup is the most common reason behind gum disease. Here a thick form of bacteria forms on the gum. Here the cleaning treatment can help to get rid of it.
- Smoking and tobacco can also cause gum problems. Smoking interferences with the tissues of the gum that make the mouth more vulnerable to gum disease infections.
- Prescription medications- Due to some medications, saliva production and flow reduce. And it can cause dry mouth and lead to rapid bacteria growth.
- Nutritional deficiencies- If you don't give needed vitamins to your body, then you may face gum problems. Not getting enough vitamin-c can be dangerous for your teeth. A high sugar diet and low water and vitamin-c can cause gum disease. So, to prevent gum disease, make sure to drink plenty of water and have vitamins rich diet.
Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD is a top dental clinic that provides all kinds of dental treatments at an affordable price. They have a highly experienced dentist who has expertise in offering gum disease treatment. They give treatment in a positive and caring environment.